Being a handspinner, I have a special affection for yarns created from a specific breed of sheep. Deepen your knowledge of our sheep friends by working with these wonderful yarns. I am listing only manufactured yarns, so consequently, many breeds are not represented here. You can always go to Etsy.com for handspun yarns. There you will find a wider variety of breed specific yarns offered. I suggest Clara Parkes' book The Knitters Book of Woolfor more information on the various breeds of sheep out there. Let me know if you find any commercially spun breed-specific yarns not listed here.
In the UK:
Breed specific yarns for Arans and Ganseys and more!
Wensleydale, Blueface Leicester, Suffolk, Herdwick, Jacob, Manx Loaghtan, Swaledale, Wensleydale, and traditional guernsey yarn in 11 colors! This is the yarn formerly known as Creskeld that I used to carry when I had my online store.
This company is located in Wales. I have heard from a knitter friend that their service is excellent and the yarns are lovely. They carry both fleece and yarns. The breeds they carry are: Balwen, Black Mountain Welsh, Blue Face Leicester, Cotswold, Castlemilk Moorit, Grey Faced Dartmoor, Hebridean, Herdwick, Jacob, Leicester Longwool, Manx Loghtan, Poll Dorset, Portland, Ryeland, Colored Ryeland, Shetland, and Shetland Cheviot. The yarn page is here.
You can purchase yarn (Hebridean and Blackface), fleeces, and knitted garments here. Knitting classes are also available for all levels. Here is their email address: Hebrideanisles@aol.co.uk
• Iriss of Penzance carries British Breeds yarns
• Webpage of Stockists of British Wool Yarn–many breeds are listed here
In the US:
• Flying Fibers has Wensleydale Longwool in yummy colors. They are located in PA but you can call them: 717.898.8020.
• Friends of Wool (MI) carries British Breeds yarns. Call: (616) 395-WOOL.
• Solitude Wool (VA) Lovely website, beautiful yarns: Targhee, Romney, Tunis, Corriedale, Shropshire, Karakul, Icelandic, Leicester, Suffolk/Dorset and more!
• Stitchuary is a US website that has many yarns of specific wool breeds (and other fibers) made by local, small farms.
The following sites offer breed specific yarns. I have divided them into categories: Fine, Medium, Down, Long, and Dual (Primitive) fleece qualities.
•CVM Yolo Wool mills (US)
• Cormo Elsa Wool Company (US) Worsted and woolen yarns in natural shades
• Polwarth Wendy Dennis Handspinning Wools (Australia) Worsted spun 4 and 8 ply Polwarth yarns
• California Red California Red Sunrise Haven Farm (US)
• Corriedale Bear Farn Yarns (US)
• Tunis Tamarack Tunis (US)
• Cheviot American Miniature Cheviot Sheep (US)
• Dorset RenaissanceDyeing,com (France)
• Ryeland GreatBritishYarns.co.uk (UK)
• Suffolk British Breeds (UK)
• Blueface Leicester British Breeds (UK)
• Cotswold Nistock Farm (NY)
• Leicester Longwool Row House Farm (VA)
• Perendale Curran Hill Ranch (CA)
• Romney Alder Brook Farm (CT)
• Wensleydale British Breeds (UK)
DUAL COATED/PRIMITIVE BREEDS
These are sheep breeds which still retain both a wool and a hair. They are less soft but very hardy, long-wearing yarns.
• Jacob British Breeds
• Shetland Jamieson's Spindrift (WA)
Harrisville Designs, (NH)