Time: 6 hours
Level: Intermediate (must be proficient with dp needles)
Students will learn about Maine mitten construction by knitting a child sized mitten in two colors, circularly on double pointed needles. Techniques to be covered include options for the cuff (stockinette stitch patterning, corrugated ribbing, k3, p1 ribbing), developing the thumb gusset by increasing in full pattern multiples, traditional motifs, and tip shaping at the end of the mitten which maintains the patterning.
(for a pair of mittens)
- 3 oz. of worsted weight yarn, 2 colors.
- One set each of size 2 and 4 (2.75 mm and 3.5 mm) double pointed needles (7″ long or shorter) or whatever circular needle you feel comfortable with.
- Tapestry needle
With size 2 needles, cast on 40 stitches with D yarn and join, being careful not to twist. Glossary: D: dark yarn, L: light yarn
Choose from one of the following three options.
- K3, P1 Ribbing- in one color
All rounds: *K3, p1, rep from *. Work for 2″.
- K2L, K2D Ribbing- st st in 2 colors
Join L yarn. All rounds: *K2L, k2D, rep from *. Work even for 2″.
- K2L, P2D Ribbing- corrugated ribbing
Join L yarn. All rounds: *K2L, p2D, rep from *. Work for 2″.