The classic details and traditional construction of the Norwegian Fana Cardigan sweaters will be taught in this two-day workshop through the knitting of a small sweater. Techniques to be learned include circularly knitted body and sleeves, square and drop shoulder armholes, cut-and-sew armholes and front, knitted self -facings, buttonbands, and 2-color star, band, and checkerboard patterns. Designing one’s own Fana cardigan will be discussed.
Time: 12 hours
Level: Intermediate to advanced (Experience with double pointed needles and machine sewing is helpful.)
- Two highly contrasting colors (such as navy and white) worsted weight yarn, 3 ozs each.
- One 16″ circular needle each, US sizes 4 and 7 (3.5 mm and 4.5 mm) or 5 and 8 (3.75 mm and 5.0 mm)
- One set dp needles each, US sizes 4 and 7 (3.5 mm and 4.5 mm) or 5 and 8 (3.75 mm and 5.0 mm).
- Tapestry needle, scissors, scraps of brightly colored yarn
- Optional: St holders, st markers, thread, sewing needle, sewing pins, 5 buttons (3/8″ – 1/2″), and magnetic board or sticky notes to keep your place on the chart.